Most of us find it difficult to say no when asked to do a favor by a friend or colleague, or to take on something that we would really rather not.
We may not want to disappoint the person doing the asking, or we may even be flattered that they are asking us to do something for them.
However, when your daily schedule is already full, you need to prioritize and manage your time and energy. Especially when dealing with the added stress and fatigue of peri-menopause and menopause.
Now is the time for self-care and de-stressing.
By saying NO to non-essential requests for your time and energy, you are saying YES to yourself.
Certainly some requests are necessary to take on, but those that are not, are best politely declined.
Here are some phrases to try:
* Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get to that today.
* My schedule is just too full for that right now.
* I’ll consider it and get back to you.
* What a great idea, perhaps you could ask … to do that.
* That is not my area of expertise.
* Perhaps I could do that for you at another time.
* I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to help you this time.
* Thank you for thinking of me, but I have to decline.
You may think it’s just easier to say yes and then deal with the overload you put yourself under. However, taking on more than you are comfortable with or even capable of can damage your health and wellbeing.
It is well known that stress breaks the body down and weakens the immune system, leaving you vulnerable to everything from the common cold to cancer. So, when you find your schedule overwhelming you, say no to others and yes to yourself.
What does that look like?
* Put your needs at the front of your list, not the end.
* Make sure you get enough sleep—7-8 hrs.
* Include joyful movement into your daily routine.
* Find what feeds your soul and do it as often as possible.
* Hang out with your friends.
* Play in the garden, get sun on your skin and dirt on your hands.
* Hug someone everyday.
* Honor your body by eating real, whole food.
* Walk barefoot in the grass.
* Take a moment to close your eyes, breathe deeply and visualize a loved one.
You should welcome every opportunity to reduce the stress and time commitments you put yourself under. It’s time to lighten up. Lighten up your schedule, your diet, your stress, your responsibilities, your overload.
For guidance and support on your journey to “lighten up” contact me for a free 15 minute consultation at email@example.com, or call me at 301-332-5732.